July 15, 2009


I hate spiders. Hate them. Their eight creepy little legs skittering across the floor sends shivers down my spine. Ew. So you can imagine my frantic panic when a fairly large one descends from out of nowhere, down my dash and onto the car floor. OMG where did that come from and where did it go? Never mind the fact that I am currently driving seventy miles an hour down the highway. So here I am twenty minutes into my hour and a half commute pulling off the highway and searching the car for the stupid thing. After about ten minutes and not finding it, I reluctantly get back in the car and continue on. I could not get home fast enough. Ew ew ew ew ew.

So now what? I'm not getting back in that car. I know that spider is still there just waiting for me. This was last Tuesday. So I took my Honda to work the rest of the week. Hey, why else do I have two cars? CPF says I'm ridiculous. Maybe so.

Anyhow, car got a thorough vacuum and cleaning. Sunday on my way to the barn I noticed there are now cobwebs covering the entire dash and passenger side. Fantastic.

This morning I'm getting ready for work, only to find a spider hanging onto my kitchen cabinets. Lovely.

I get in the car and head off to work. Sitting at a traffic light I see a little gray spider crawl up the side of the window by my head and disappear into the door frame. What the heck? Is it attack of the spiders day? Good thing I need gas anyway and at least I found the cobweb culprit. So I pull into the gas station and am just about to get out of the car, when out of the corner of my eye I see the big fat brown spider from last Tuesday hiding right above my shoulder in the cracks of the door. Ew ew ew ew! How is this still in my car?! How did it survive the vacuum and the baking hot sun for hours on end? How is this possible? At least I was at the gas station and could properly 'remove' it. And at least it's gone now.

As for the little gray one? Let's just pretend I didn't see it.

Yes you can laugh. I know I'm ridiculous.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. I can't believe this!! You are not the first person to tell me about spider in car freak-outs - my friend in DC pulled over and had to have a friend come find it for her.

I think your fear of spiders rivals my fear of aggressive yellow and black flying insects (not to be confused with adorable friendly bumblebees, which I love). I had a hornet arrive in my field of view while on the highway and had a complete panic attack. Thought I was done for.

Unknown said...

oh you better believe it. i get home and chip's laughing his head off. then i tell him i wont drive my car until he finds it, and he looks at me like i've gone crazy. hahaha oh dear...